That’s right: Rep. Matt Gaetz is rumored to be abandoning his constituents and leaving Congress for a career in television.
Three sources told Axios that the Florida anti-gay lawmaker privately told confidants he could retire before his tenure ended to take a job with right-wing propaganda network Newsmax.
Related: This Time Everyone Thought Matt Gaetz Killed His College Roommate During ‘Gay Sex Game Gone Wrong’
Apparently, Gaetz became fascinated with the idea of being a media personality after tasting the spotlight while hooking up with Donald Trump last year.
One of the sources tells Avois that Gaetz, whose term ends in 2023, has already started having early conversations with executives about what kind of position he could take on the network.
Neither Gaetz nor Newsmax comment on the rumors, but Twitter certainly has a lot to say about it …
He and his hair are welcome to leave Congress at any time.
– Garf (@garfington) March 30, 2021
Well. He can scream into the void of the plot.
– ? Cheryl ☀️ (@cabarkk) March 30, 2021
Because he doesn’t do any work as a congressman. He just spreads gossip and lies. It is perfect for newsmax.
– pinky (@ pinky75705848) March 30, 2021
Grifter wants a bigger paycheck
– Rick von Hagn ?? (@MrIosity) March 30, 2021
Not surprised. Congressman Matt Gaetz hasn’t passed any laws beyond naming a post office after someone.
He is not a legislator. He’s a lying performance artist, so of course he’ll fit into Newsmax. And he will be paid well as they try to become the new Fox News. pic.twitter.com/fb0jgpLWL2
– Russell Drew (@RussOnPolitics) March 30, 2021
It’s a really stupid thing to do, that’s exactly why I think it’s gonna happen
– Noble Prize of Sarcasm (@rewegreatyet) March 30, 2021
They must have an open bar policy
– Edward Kim (@ eddiek005) March 30, 2021
Yes please. Give it a show at 1 a.m.
– Christopher Jevaun Nurse (@ChrisJNurse) March 30, 2021
Interestingly, the departure of Congressional Rep Matt Gaetz to join Newsmax will simultaneously increase the IQ of Congress while lowering that of Newsmax.
– County Clare Observer (@county_clare) March 30, 2021
So long. Give Nestor the best of me. pic.twitter.com/BqV4nScU8S
– Thick Ricardo – DRY with not a DIMwit (@ MsSmartie2u) March 30, 2021
Graham Gremore is editor and editor at Queerty. Follow him on Twitter @grahamgremore.